Sunday, April 14, 2013

Target Zones


Photo Credit: 80smuscle.blogspot.com

I can't tell you how often I've been spurred to action that I wanted to start doing some basic exercises like sit ups or crunches right before bedtime.  So, I would start doing like 50 a night.  Inevitably, some ultra fit person would say to me, (hands on hips, raised eyebrow) "Well, you know you can't target zones to lose weight."  And, in that moment, I would feel like well why the hell was I even making an effort if it doesn't matter?

Sucks, huh?

In that one good-intentioned moment, they would knock me out of that spurring to action and back to going to bed like normal.  Here's what I think ... I think that stud who arrogantly popped a hole in my balloon of good intentions meant well.  See, he was thinking like a "skinny chick" (I like the idea of him thinking like a girl so I'm not going to change that).  He had the mindset of a Tri-athlete.  No, he wouldn't target any zones, because he worked his zones all the time.  He was ripped, he was tanned (ala George Hamilton), he was wearing a scrawny tank top, and was oiled just perfectly enough that each chest hair curled on its own.

Yeah, I'm exaggerating, but you get the picture, right?

A Fat Chick CANNOT jump into the mindset of a Tri-Athlete!  We physically can't do it and doom ourselves to failure each and every time we decide to take it on.  Of course, he was right, it isn't about targeting zones.  It's about living a healthy life style.  It's about consistency and working your whole body.

But, does that necessarily mean that you can't target a zone?

Of course not.  You can't target a zone if that's all you target.  But, doing some crunches before bed, or side twists after using the bathroom, or cooking on one foot, whatever it is you do that targets an area is not for nothing!  It builds strength and will help to tone that area.  Of course you need cardio, watch your food, and work out regularly, but don't for a minute think your efforts to do SOMETHING in place of NOTHING are without merit.

And, if you want to oil up, get tanned, wear a scrawny tank top ... don't be surprised to find your picture in my next blog .... just kiddddddding!

My next few blogs will target some exercises you can do.  I hope they are easy for you, but if not, pull back a little.  And, of course check with your doctor before starting any exercise routine, blah, blah, blah.

Challenge of the Day:
Do SOMETHING in place of NOTHING and ignore the 80's throw-back, stud who can't think like YOU. Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment