Monday, April 1, 2013

Walking Between Raindrops

photo credit: www.dreamstime.com

Imagine, if you will ... a girl wearing a bright, yellow raincoat stepping gingerly over puddles as rain pours down all around her.Her matching yellow umbrella sits just inches from her head as she attempts to avoid getting wet.  

Suddenly, she realizes that she is NOT wet.  Not one drop of water has hit her umbrella, raincoat or galoshes.  She holds her tiny hand out to catch a raindrop but it stays dry although the drops fall all around her hand.  She moves her hand to try and capture at least one wet raindrop but as she moves, the raindrops scurry out of her way.

She lowers her umbrella and watches in amazement as the drops fall all around her and yet, never hit her.  She begins to walk, then run, skip and dance in the rain without a single drop touching her.  She throws her umbrella to the side, peels off the raincoat and galoshes and frolics in the downpour unscathed.

Then, she feels it..... one drop on her bottom lip hanging on as if for dear life before it plummets to the ground.  She turns her face heavenward and in an instant, the clouds darken and coil angrily waiting to strike.  She sucks in her breath as fear grips her chest.  The sky opens and unleashes a torrent of rain.  And, just as suddenly as she was dry ... she is now soaked to the skin and running through the rain, slipping in the mud and wondering where, oh where is her umbrella?  raincoat? galoshes?  She is left unprotected, soaked and cold as she hurries home.

That story pretty much sums up the past two weeks for me.  I was doing just fine, using My Fitness Pal, exercising, seeing my weight drop gradually and then it happened.  I had logged for 70 days straight on My Fitness Pal which is the longest I've ever logged.  I was proud of it, dare I say a bit arrogant?  Then, one day about two weeks ago, I went to enter my food and it was already filled in.

WTH?

I had mistakenly logged my food on the NEXT day instead of the CURRENT day and therefore, broke my streak.

Seems like such a small set back.

But, it wasn't.

I tried to pull it back together but I kept missing an entry or day and missing the accountability.  I wound up gaining back 3.8lbs in two weeks.  Considering I'm only losing 3-5lbs per month, that's huge.  That storm dumped right on my head and I've had a hard time pulling it back together.  I have purposefully not measured.  I don't want to know what 3.8lbs has done to my measurements.  I know that if I don't pull things together, in six months this will be just another failed diet ahhh-gain.

So, I am letting you all know what's going on (Accountability).
It's no one's fault but my own (Ownership)
I started back on My Fitness Pal (Progress)
I bought goggles to start swimming soon (Planning).
I'm giving myself til this Saturday before I measure again (Being a Lifer instead of a Dieter).

I'm picking myself up, throwing up my umbrella and continuing my journey.

Challenge of the Day:
How is your storm?  Are you walking between raindrops, getting drenched or protecting yourself as you make your way through the downpour?  I recommend you protect yourself... and if you screw up, keep going.  Until next time ...

Shout Out to SWEDEN!
Tack för att du läser min blogg! Jag faktiskt talar lite svenska och har en god vän från Helsingborg. Jag har alltid velat besöka ert vackra land. Tack för ert stöd. Tills nästa gång!

No comments:

Post a Comment