Monday, March 18, 2013

!@#$% Salads

  Just once .... I'd like to feel this way about eating salad.  But, honestly, when I eat salad, I look more like this ...

I don't HATE salad.  I don't.  But, I've always been the person that smothered it in Ranch dressing just to push it down. And, as I've said before, give me the choice of salad or spaghetti and the pasta will win every time.  I don't look at salad as a MEAL.  To me, it's an obligatory part of a meal.  I have never, ever looked at a salad and started salivating.  Ever.

But, facts are facts, aren't they?  As much as I hate to admit it, there is a place for salads in my life.  They are full of vitamins and healthy for your digestive tract.  Yawn, sorry.  They are also low calorie as long as you don't smother them in Ranch.

I no longer eat Ranch, by the way, except on rare occasions (if they have diced eggs on the salad bar, I'm a goner as I love them with Ranch). As I've said before, it's about taking steps, making changes and learning to adjust to a healthier you.  So here's what I've learned ...

  1. Adding hot chicken to a salad is actually really good.
  2. Topping off a salad with feta cheese is fantastic.
  3. Finding the vegetables you actually like (instead of picking out all of the mushrooms, for example) and making your salad with foods that are actually tasty to you make a difference.
  4. Adding a salad to a meal regularly will help you eat fewer calories during the meal.
  5. Find a dressing you can actually eat that is low calorie and that you like.  Forget lemon on your salads.  I mean, yes, it's low calorie, but taste has to be in there somewhere, right?  I don't mind a low fat cottage cheese on a salad, though. But, on a day-to-day basis, I came up with the following dressing that is low calorie.  

Beth's Easy !@#$% Salad Dressing
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Honey Dijon Mustard
Garlic
Salt & Pepper

Mix so it tastes good to YOU, but here's an example of the proportions:
1 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 c Red Wine Vinegar
2 tsp Honey Dijon Mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix it up and pour over your salad.  That's only about 67 calories.  Compare that to Ranch and you come away with a low calorie, yet tasty alternative, if I do say so myself.

Photo Credits: Girl: www.tumblr.com, Cat: www.edeneatseverything.com

Challenge of the Day
Start eating !@#$% salads.  Yes, I'm serious.  Find a way to make them part of your nutritional health.  You will fill up a little better, help regulate your digestive tract and get some vitamins as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment