Thursday, March 14, 2013

You can lead a horse to water ...

My hands work as if they have a mind of their own as I cook Thanksgiving dinner.  The bird is buttered, rubbed and baking to a beautiful golden brown.  The eggs have been boiled and I am making my deviled eggs.  "Good thing I made a couple extra," I think. as I pop one into my mouth.  While putting out the dishes, I dip a carrot into some hummus.  I know that sounds weird, but try it, it's good (as are peppers).  I lather my angel food cake with whipped cream frosting and enjoy a mouthful as I do.  Don't mind if I do!  Potatoes are mashed and filled with sour cream, pepper and butter.  Let me try a bite to make sure it tastes right.  Sure does, let me try another - I might even dip a roll into them.  When I finally make it to the table, my stomach is telling me that I'm not really that hungry.  But, hey, it's Thanksgiving so I pile up the food and begin chowing down.  Good Lord, I make a good turkey and gravy!  I start to feel the weight of all of this food in my stomach and eventually put down my fork.  Then, I wait a little while and get some pumpkin pie with whipped cream ...

Does this sound familiar?

All the snacking that nobody sees COUNTS.  You may not think so at the time - hey it's just an EGG - that's not very fattening.  But, it counts.  If you aren't careful, a nibble of this and taste of that and pretty soon, you just don't need another bite, but you take one any way.

Accountability.

Ownership.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink...

How many times have I heard, "Well I tried <name your diet you tried> but it didn't work.  Then, I tried <the other one you tried> and it didn't work" and so on and so on?  It's not the diet that doesn't work.  Sad to say, it is us Fat Chicks that give up on eating more healthy and exercising regularly.  The diet may have been hard (Prism was the hardest thing I've ever done for three grueling weeks before it didn't work and I returned to my previous habits) but in the end we do that, right?  Go back to fast food, don't measure our salad dressing and eat ice cream.

Taking ownership of your nutrition and exercise routine is the only way any "diet" will ever "work."  If you can admit that the reason they didn't work is that you stopped working it (withholding issues with the program itself - like Atkins ALWAYS got me sick by day 3), then you can take ownership of what you are doing with your body.

Once you take ownership, you will start to control it better.  You will "be the boss" of your nutrition and exercise.  You will "make it work."  That's why I take things in steps.  Jumping gung-ho into a program (and someone else's mindset) is difficult at best.  Take the steps to figure out what works best for you. Reduce your portion size, drink more water, (gag) eat more salads, and exercise.  Once you start taking ownership, it will finally "work."  Not because she said to, or he thinks you'd be prettier if, or that kid in third grade that said those horrible things, or  your class reunion/wedding/whatever coming up.  But, because you want it badly enough to own it.

Hand in hand with ownership is accountability.  You need someone you can talk honestly with - that will be an ear to hear you on good and bad days.  This person should cheer you on, lift you up and motivate you.  This person may also offer advice on where he/she sees you stumbling and hopefully offer guidance on how to get back up.

You can also do self-accountability with programs like My Fitness Pal or keeping a journal.  I've kind of put myself out there with this blog and on Facebook.  I give an update once a month and the support I've gotten back has been incredible. That's not for everyone, though...

Challenge of the Day:
Take ownership of your nutrition and exercise regime!  Be accountable to yourself and someone you trust! Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment