Saturday, February 23, 2013

Binge & Purge

This is my most vulnerable blog yet ... Prior to this blog, I had never admitted that I binged and purged except in my own head.  My family didn't know and it was a big fat secret in my life.  But, if I want to be healthier, it's something I've had to face.  I know for damn sure, I'm not the only out there that has ever binged and purged. So, here goes ...

I had a traumatic event happen to me when I just turned 21.  It was traumatic enough that I didn't sleep much for a good year and when I did I had nightmares.  I had been a model and in one night, any caring I had for my body was stomped on.  I no longer cared.

And, I began gaining weight.

I didn't consciously know I was binging.  To be honest, that time frame is a bit of a blur for me. I would order a Medium pizza and a six pack of soda and eat all of it.  I would eat when emotional and eat a lot.  Then, I'd go home and my stomach would hurt and be extended.  The purging began as a relief to that "sick" feeling afterwards.  It was easy to throw it up.

Then, there seemed to be a pattern.  I'd get emotional, I'd eat, I'd have that familiar sick feeling and I'd throw up.  It never helped me to get thin ... though I still think if I had eaten those calories I would have easily been much bigger.

Do you hear that?

Why couldn't I see that if I had NEVER put that food into my body, then, I wouldn't have thrown up or had those calories in my body in the first place?  I just didn't think that way.

Then, after my divorce, it became a habit.  It happened at least 1-2 times a week.  And, afterwards, I'd think, "I'm glad I threw up, I feel much better."

It's compulsive behavior ... it's a sign of (though not necessarily an indication of having) Bulimia Nervosa.  It's a comforting technique when food is your comfort.

It's not healthy, my friend.

I no longer binge and purge.  It's something I had to make the conscious decision not to do.  You may wonder what woke me up?  During a particular purge, I noticed blood dripping.  It was coming from my nose.  I blew my nose and a bright red, thick blood clot about the size of an egg yolk came out.  It scared the shit out of me.

I don't know where that blood clot came from ... I read that it is caused by the pressure of making one throw up.  I also read that the acids from the stomach can eat away at the esophagus. I've had a pain there for years that I could never explain.  All I knew is that if I drank cold water, it went away.  Since I no longer binge and purge, I no longer get that pain so I do believe it is related.

I had to face WHY I binged.  It was always because I was emotional.  So, I had to make the decision to do something ELSE when I got emotional.  I call my Ohm-Ma, Big Bit and Kat. I draw. I cry.  I do something other than eat.  It's not easy to do ... because a part of me WANTS to slip back and eat an entire pizza (though, honestly, now-a-days, I don't think I could force it down).

I keep harping on change.  This was a huge change for me that I made last year.  This is part of my journey.  I simply can't let myself binge and purge anymore.  I have two boys at home that need me around.  And, don't need to lose their Mom because of compulsive behavior.

Here's a good website with some information on it, if you want more technical stuff:  http://addictions.about.com/od/foodaddictio1/a/bingeing_and_purging.htm

If you struggle with this, I suggest you speak with your doctor, a support group or good friend.

Challenge of the Day:
Be honest about your habits.  If you binge and purge, get help.  Talk to someone.  Figure out a way to get away from it and make new habits. YOU are worth it.  Until next time ....

No comments:

Post a Comment