Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Fitness Pal

I'm sure there are other websites out there like My Fitness Pal (myfitnesspal.com) or as its members refer to it, MFP. The coolest thing is that is it FREE. But, since I only know MFP, that's what I'm choosing to write about today...

My Fitness Pal is a GREAT website.  It allows you to keep track of your food and exercise, your progress, read fitness blogs, and maintain and be encouraged by an online community of people just like you.

Setting Goals
The first part of MFP is to set up your goals.  You will enter your weight and say how much you want to lose per week - half a pound, a pound, 2 pounds.  The recommendation is one pound a week.

Your Profile
Add some photos of yourself, explain your story and add a widget to track your loss.  I like the ladybug personally, but they have different kinds to choose from.

Tracking Food
If you click on "Track Food," you will be brought to a page where you can start inputting the food you are eating.  Their database is huge so you will likely find whatever you are eating in their list.  Or, you can add an item. Keep track of the food you eat.  Learn from the tracking.  Let your eyes open up to the amount of calories, fat, protein, carbs and sodium in your food so you slowly make changes.

To get started (and of course, clear this with your doctor), you may want to try 1800 - 2000 calories a day, 40 grams of fat, 70 grams of carbs, 100 grams of protein and 2300 grams of sodium. Those are the numbers my former, good looking, fit, hot, trainer Sean gave me once upon a time and that I am still using.  That's still a lot, so don't kid yourself.  But, if you are anything like I was (easily eating 2500 - 4000 calories a day), that is an improvement and you'll see results.  As time goes by and you make changes to your diet, that number will likely lessen.

Track Exercise
In the Track Exercise part of the website, you enter the Cardio type of exercise you did and it calculates the calories spent.  Cardio includes walking, jogging, biking, treadmill, elliptical, aerobics, etc.  You can also enter strength exercises like sit ups, push ups, plank, lifting weights etc., but it doesn't attribute any calories to these exercises.

You will find your calories spent in exercise get ADDED TO the calories you have for the day.  If you decide to eat those calories, you will maintain your weight.  If you decided NOT to eat those calories, you will likely lose weight. Pretty simple, eh?

Weigh In
Weigh yourself once a week, in the morning, before you eat, and naked.  Enter your weight in the Weigh In section of the website. You can also add your measurements if you want to track them there but I prefer a spreadsheet so I can see the data next to one another. If you are going to measure, do it once a month - don't get neurotic about it.  Plus, it's a fun goal to have each month.  I'll be covering measurements in its own blog (Note to self.... Measurements is my next blog .... goes well with this one ...)

Online Community
The online community at MFP works similar to Facebook.  You become "friends" with other people, but the difference is that these other people are all working to lose weight too.  You are welcome to add me.  My screen name is "beth4dieting". You will find encouragement, accountability, people who listen and people who educate you on health, progress and even when it gets hard.

Reports
The Reports section of the Website can go back up to 90 days and shows your progress with nutrition, fitness or weight loss.  I like to refer to these sometimes to see how my eating habits have changed. It's a good reminder of where you have come from and the improvements you've made in your diet, exercise routine and weight.

Challenge of the Day
Sign up for My Fitness Pal or any other site like this. Feel free to add me if you would like. Until next time...

Email: 1fatchick2another@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment