Friday, February 22, 2013

One of Those Days

Yesterday, was one of those days for me .... 

I weighed in and had lost a little over a pound.  Did my happy dance as I congratulated and patted myself on the back and practically did a cart wheel off the scale.  It was going to be a good day.

I had a bagel and just a little cream cheese for breakfast with a glass of fat free milk.  Ahh, it was shaping up to be a GREAT day.  Maybe I'd go work out after work too.

I was working from home, which makes it a bit harder for me to stay on my nutrition regimen to be honest.  At work, I have a drawer full of Balance Bars (they will be their own post!) and almonds.  If I get hungry, I have a low calorie snack I can eat - and I'm limited.  I don't want to walk down 58 stairs to get a candy bar and honestly, I don't want a candy bar anymore, so I don't.  I eat my Balance Bars.

But, that's at the office.  At home, it's a little different.  It's very easy to "grab a handful" of chips, or warm up a tortilla and eat half a container (hey they are small containers) of hummus.  It's easy.

On a good day, I might struggle a little.

But, on a bad day ...

My son and I had an argument in the morning that lasted several hours.  He eventually left with a friend of his and I was left at home with this ... emotional (RED FLAG!), pent up anger (DANGER ZONE!), I don't give a shit attitude (WARNING! WARNING!).  Sure enough, for lunch, instead of that nice turkey sandwich, counted potato chips and no sugar jello, I found myself driving to Wendy's.

And, the conversation (in my head) went something like this ...

You really should turn the car around ...
Screw that! I'm upset and want Wendy's!
You know what you'll eat there....
I don't care!  I want Wendy's!
You know you're being emotional ...
So what? I want Wendy's!  I'll get a salad .... or chili ... or something ....
No you won't ...
I don't care!  I'm so pissed right now!

Welcome to Wendy's, How may I help you?

Go ahead and get a cup of chili ....
I'd like a cup of ... I'll take a #2, Medium with no mayonaise, extra mustard and pickles, fries, a chocolate frosty and a diet coke.

Oh that is not a salad ... or even chili ...
How bad can it be?  
You know how bad it can be ...
I had a small breakfast, it won't be that bad - I'll work it off

And, I ate the whole thing.  I think I may have even tasted it.  To my credit, even I could see it was too much food - which since that's my standard order at Wendy's, that is still progress believe it or not.

Then, when I got home and started putting the numbers in My Fitness Pal, I remember that I had also had a tortilla with hummus earlier.  Shit.   Then, I put in my lunch and it was (ready for this?) 1600 calories.

Can you believe it?  I couldn't.  1600 calories????  Good Lord.  I used to eat this crap all the time!

To top it off, I never did work out.

But, I digress.

I bet this has happened to at least a few of you out there at some point.

To minimize the damage to my weight loss, I didn't eat dinner which was ok for me, I honestly wasn't hungry.
This morning, I did not weigh in - the scale stared at me, but I looked away whistling as I walked by.  I'll do that tomorrow after a day of eating well and a good work out tonight.  And, I started my day off with Simple Truth Honey Toasted Oats cereal with sliced strawberries and fat free milk.

Moral of the story?  Yeah, you're going to screw up.  Just keep going.  Today is a new day.  I'm getting my slightly larger rump up, brushing it off and moving forward.

Challenge of the Day:
When you have one of those days, just keep going.  You're human and it's natural not to be perfect. Just don't ever give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment